PLEASE NOTE: Our office remains open at this time. To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering our clients and potential clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options. 

Attorney photo

Let Us Do The Worrying For You

Who must register on the sex offender registry?

The sexual offender registry in North Carolina keeps a record of individuals who have certain sexual related convictions. These include crimes against children. Reporting guidelines are specific to the crime. They have not always been around, so some crimes did not become a reportable conviction at the same time as others. This affects whether you must register or not.

According to the North Carolina Bureau of Investigation, if you are a state resident, you must register on the sex offender registry if you have any reportable conviction. If you move to the state and your conviction requires reporting, then you must register. If you are in the state for more than 15 days and have a reportable offense, you must register as well. Finally, if you are a student or worker whose offense requires registration or your home state requires registration, then you must register.

As mentioned, the date of your conviction plays a large role in whether you must register or not. Some crimes require registration further back than others. For example, a conviction for first-degree rape requires registration if it was after January 1, 1996, but a conviction for first-degree statutory rape only requires registration if it happened after December 1, 2015.

The type of crimes always matters because not every crime requires registration. Generally, crimes against minors and sexual crimes require registration. These include kidnapping, felonious restraint, aiding and abetting an offense against a minor, secretly peeping and prostitution of a minor or a mentally disabled person.

You should register as soon as possible. The sheriff’s office will verify your registration requirements if you are unsure. This information is for education and is not legal advice.